[OM] Advice for used OM-4

Subject: [OM] Advice for used OM-4
From: Henrik Eliasson <henrik.eliasson2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:13:21 +0100
Hi,

I have recently bought a used OM-4 that in general looks very nice. There are however two things about it that I think I should try to fix. First, the film door has a small dent on top (on the part that is bent backwards towards the camera and not visible when the door is closed), just below the viewfinder. This has corroded a bit and damaged a little bit of the foam that is put around the film compartment. I would like to know if it is possible to replace the foam. If it is possible and someone knows if it can be bought somewhere in Sweden, I would be really grateful. Also, the film door doesn't look so nice. It is fully operational otherwise, it's just the looks, but I think I will replace it sometime in the future. Does anyone know if it is possible to find spare parts (particularly in Sweden).

There is also an issue with the metering. When setting the largest aperture on the lens and twisting the lens a bit back and forth (even though the lens is attached to the camera it can be moved very slightly), the meter stops working in a certain position (the meter bar gets very short). It starts working again if I twist the lens slightly again. It only happens for the largest aperture setting, It seems that there is a loss of contact or short somewhere. Has anyone experienced this?

I am grateful for any help.

Regards,

Henrik Eliasson