[OM] Focussing screens and glasses

Subject: [OM] Focussing screens and glasses
From: Brian Gray <bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:40:36 +0000
bsandyman@xxxxxxx wrote
I have heard a number of people on the list talk about preferring to use the
matte finish area of the focusing screen to focus with, as opposed to the fancy
prism, or split ring or .....I was wondering how many of these people also wear glasses. .....What do people with glasses prefer?

I wear glasses (bifocals) as a consequence of increasing years and prefer to use the matte for fine focussing when I can. Whether I can or not seems to depend on the light level. Using a 50mmF1.4 or 85mmF2 lens I find that it is usually possible but only sometimes with the 500mmreflex (F/8). I often find a rough focus with the split ring and when possible use the matte for fine focus. For information, my OM2SP has a 2-14 focussing screen while I think that the screen in my OM10 is a 1-13 (am I correct?) and certainly the 2-13 seems better with the reflex lens. I might add that I suffer from astigmatism in both eyes as well as a reducing accommodation so that I am always wearing my glasses when using a camera.
Brian