[OM] Re: Medium Format vs. Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: Medium Format vs. Digital
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 16:41:48 -0800
>From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>He then flatly states that 'inkjet prints surpass chemical prints in every
>respect.' HUH?  Does anyone else agree with this?  I'll put a Cibachrome up
>against an inkjet anytime, all else equal.

That does seem a bit overly broad. I have seen a lot of terrible inkjet prints.
I think it's safe to say there is wider variability in inkjet than in
photochemistry.

But I agree that the best inkjet prints made by people who really know what
they're doing are as good or better than the best photochemical prints, also
made by experts.

The key is the amount of pre-print processing you're able to do in either
format. A custom contrast mask is three keystrokes and a mouse-drag in
Photoshop, or a day or two of darkroom work!

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>