[OM] OT: need advice on soldering

Subject: [OM] OT: need advice on soldering
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 16:51:15 -0800
>From: GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
>
>I'm trying to resolder a corroded battery contact on a Konica C35 that was
>given to me, and can't get the solder to stick to the battery contact. It's a
>very bright metal, stainless or chrome or something like that. I've cleaned
>the surface using a wire brush on a Dremel tool, and have tried both 60/40
>tin/lead solder and 96/4 tin/silver solder. I'm using a 30 watt soldering
>iron and I think I'm letting the surfaces get hot enough before trying to
>flow the solder.

It can be difficult. Battery contacts are notorious. I doubt it is stainless
(it wouldn't be corroded), but it may be phosphor bronze with a chrome plating,
neither of which will take solder readily.

Is there any evidence that the contact has been soldered, or was it crimped
originally? If the latter, you may not be able to solder it all.

On the other hand, it may be the alkaline leakage from the batteries that is
giving you grief. In that case, you can try an acid-based paste flux. You can
get it from Home Depot-type places. Use a small amount, applied with a
toothpick. Heat the part until the flux boils, then try to tin it with the
solder.

After using acid paste flux on electronic components, wipe the part down with a
cloth moistened in water with some baking soda dissolved in it to neutralize
the remaining acid and keep it from eating up the part.

><HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial"
>LANG="0">I

[clip]

BTW: please don't post HTML messages.

--