[OM] Reichmann, Canon, and digital...

Subject: [OM] Reichmann, Canon, and digital...
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:44:33 -0600
I knew this would get around. Anyone that reads his site knows that he has
strongly held opinions. Usually those opinions are backed up with a bit of
examination, but he is testing to prove a point.

I still maintain that comparing a print from a digital camera with a print
from a film scan (inkjet or on photo paper), is not valid. Make a GOOD WET
PRINT from that 6x7 chrome, and compare it to a print from the digital.
That's a valid comparison, as the print from the scan has an additional step
inserted.

What do I think you'll see? You might be surprised to find that I don't
think the one from the chrome will be better. But then, I don't think the
one from the digital will be better, either. What they will incontrovertably
be, is different.

For a good comparison (at least to our US readers), is television. Watch the
news. I don't think anyone, anywhere, shoots film for news. It's all video,
and frequently digital video. Superficially, it will look sharper than a
network show that is shot on film, as most still are, although there is a
migration to hi def video production in some areas. There is no grain on the
video, unless shot in low light, where you see the video equivelent that is
called noise. A closer examination of the film version will see a greater
tonal range, a more subtle rendition of a scene.

Is one better? No, just different, and that's the thing that makes me crazy
about the film vs. digital thing. Does one have to completely suplant the
other? Of course not. As more go digital, it may cut a big piece out of film
sales, but film isn't going to go away anytime soon. Rmember, although SLR
sales have remained flat, they haven't declined since 1991! Film sales
increase every day.

What, then, do we have? Simply different tools. The time will come, sooner
than later, I expect, when we all will be shooting digital. When will there
be no film? We will all be long dead.

Bill Pearce