Re: [OM] OT: need advice on soldering

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: need advice on soldering
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:33:45 -0800
This has come up on my camera-repair lists... its very tough to get solder
to adhere to the metal most battery contacts are made of, which is usually a
spring-steel. Typically this is chrome plated. When the wire corrodes and
comes off, you unsolder the blob that is on there and then want to solder a
new wire on, but it won't stick. Good heat is one key factor.

If you can remove the contact from the camera, solder using -acid- flux
instead of normal electronic rosin flux. However, although acid flux will
help greatly, you will have to carefully and completely clean the acid
residue after soldering, preferably by liberally dousing with a baking-soda
and water mix and then flush with a lot of clean water. Dry and reinstall in
the camera.

If you can't get the battery contact out of the camera body it is
problematic if you want to use acid-flux... It will probably help the
soldering, but its very difficult to get all the acid out of there after
you're done. I think there are acidic fumes that may spread places you can't
see, then make problems later.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...