[OM] OM and Le*ca shootout!!

Subject: [OM] OM and Le*ca shootout!!
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 12:52:50 -0800
I am renting a M6 over the weekend to see what siren's songs is all about. It has a 35/1.4 'lux on it. Next week after the film is developed, I will give some SUBjective picture report. So far I have the following comments of handling and usability:

The M6 weighs slightly more than the OM4 and 4T, and the dimensions are similar. Since the basic design hasn't changed for over 50 years, one would assume the handling is pretty decent, or there's a massive deception :-). I found the handling very well. Things are "where they suppose to be." Generally I use my 4/Ts in auto or spot mode, so the location change for the Shutter dial is not a problem. I would generally rate the handling as fine as any good non-wonderbrick cameras to be.

PROs:
The 35/1.4 is really small. Not flat like the Zuiko 40/2, but small in diameter so overall it looks like a smaller camera. I guess this is where the retrofocus design shines. I heard a lot about how outdated the film loading system is, and is pleasantly surprised to find out it is a no-brainer to use. The worse problem is that you have to put the bottom plate somewhere, but loading part is easier than the manual SLR sprocket things.

The focusing IS very easy, even on the low light. We were at the Santa Cruz Natural Bridges at sunset and after and I can more or less focus in the dark :-) For comparison, most Zuikos I have are f/2 or faster with a Beattie screen and a 2-13 (2-14? The one w/o microprism) and the M6's focusing is easier under the extreme light conditions.

The shutter is very very quiet. This can be very addicting. If I get dragged into another a RF, this will be the number one reason. Ahh.....the SLR is deafening comparing to the RF shutter. From what I read, other modern RFs, such as the Hex*r RF or the Bes*a R2, while challenging the Ms in some aspects, do not come close in the quietness dept. which is a shame.

The lack of mirror blackout is also a pleasant surprise. May be I should put this in the CONs section, but in fact, for the first 20 some exposures, I made a mistake on where the shutter speed indicator is (nothing wrong ergonomically wrong with the camera, it's just me being stupid) and exposure those pictures two stops slower than I thought. I was wondering why the aperture seems so small under those conditions :-). The CON is of course that w/o mirror flapping, I can see exactly the moment of exposure, and see there is no dog tongue on the nose, eye shutting, aliens showing up in the back etc.

CONs
I did not forget to the lenscap off ever, but I imagine it can be a possibility. The focusing range has a larger throw than I would like on the 35/1.4. It cannot focus closer than (2 ft?). I still need to correlate the Viewfinder's frameline vs. what's on the picture. With the 35, it's not much of a problem, because the 35 frameline is about the whole VF anyway, but it will be a problem with the longer focal length, even the 50 frameline seems to small compare to the rest of the VF.

And of course the biggest CON is the extreme high price. However, a used M6 can be have for about the price of a used 3T. Think about that....

Summary
I am eagerly awaiting for the pictures (Provia 100F pushed to 400) to be developed :-)