Re: [OM] Why OM3/T?

Subject: Re: [OM] Why OM3/T?
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 17:05:09 -0400
> Richard F. Man wrote:
>
> > As far as I know, these are advantages that an OM-3/T has over OM-4/T:
> > - all mechanical shutter. No battery, no problem. Then again, a spare
> > pair of battery takes up zero space...

A spare pair of batteries in an inside pocket is not much help for me when
it is -50 wind chill. I've tried this solution, but not with much success.
Practically, how do you go about changing the batteries in those conditions?
My fingers are just too cold to unscrew those little covers, quickly
transfer those tiny 357's into the camera, all without dropping something
into the snow. And by the time you get it done, the warm batteries going
into the already frozen-cold metal camera are bascially croaked too. The new
batteries are frozen, and so are your fingers.
I've also tried holding a palm on the bottom of the camera to warm
everything up. Didn't work. It's like trying to hold one of those frozen
brass locks in your hand to thaw it so that a key will turn. Not fun at -30.
No, I think Walt has the best solution for extreme cold weather shooting. Of
course, we're not sure he understands genuine cold  :-)
Wayne