[OM] AG Rants

Subject: [OM] AG Rants
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:09:03 -0800 (PST)
First of all, let's get something straight right now.

George, PLEASE sit on your hands instead of apologizing.  We are
a forgiving lot.  We understand that your specific choices of
words don't always sit well with others.  Everybody else:
PLEASE understand that we don't hear voice inflections in posts.
 It's unfortunate that this has turned into an attack-fest.
George, although slightly skewed in his political beliefs (big
grin), is a good person.  I've had good conversations with him
and even done business with him in the past and expect to in the
future.  He is a very good photographer and artisian (well?).
Before we all get into "filter mode" let's just ignore each
others posts for a while, take a breather and come back smiling.
 I don't believe for a second that he thinks that T.S. is a
crook or that Susan  is a fruitcake.  Winsor on the other
hand... <g>  It doesn't hurt to NOT respond to a post.  After
all, I ignore 9/10 of them anyway.  Before responding to some
posts, ask yourself this question:  Is this a hill worth dying
on?

Secondly, Digital vs film.  No contest.  Digital is better.  The
90% rule applies here.  When you take into account the entire
processing chain, I'd have to give the nod to digital.  However,
it's the 10% that can get you.  It's also the 10% that sets some
of us apart from the masses.  In the "art world" there are
always specific differences between the artists and everybody
else.  For some of us, the old-fashioned way is still better.

Thirdly, Leica.  Well, let's put it this way...  If we had
absolutely no photographic history and photography was just
invented.  Given today's available technology, what company
would even dream of coming up with the Leica?  No WYSIWYG.
Bottom film loading, (film?  what's that?), fixed focal length
lenses, few if any auto exposure modes, etc., etc.  The only
reason why Leica is even desired is because of "romance".  Lens
quality is excellent, but not exclusively so.  Handling is good,
but there are other ways to skin that cat.  Quiet?  Have you
heard the latest/greatest N*k*n or C*n*n in "silent mode"?
Format?  35mm is too small.  Why not just go to digital and skip
film altogether?

AG