[OM] Climbing monuments, was London Gathering !

Subject: [OM] Climbing monuments, was London Gathering !
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:06:09 +0000
Cc: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hmm, Jon, Christine might not like the monuments in Turkey.  When I
was there in 2000, the Turks stopped us flying  (over Iraq)for about
10 days for the feast of Sacrifice (at the end of Ramadan I believe)
so 4 of us headed up to Capadocia for a couple of days.  It was very,
very cold, the plateau was like Siberia in its desolation, but we
found the troglodyte dwellings quite fascinating.  But the old
castles above ground, although still standing were high with worn
steps.  So not only were you puffed by the time you reached the top
of the staircase, you were petrified of the unsupported height of the
place!

Nonetheless, I thoroughly recommend a visit to some of the ruins in
Turkey, away from the tourist traps, before they fall down.

Om content:  I have loads of photos which I have yet to show on a
website.  Time to get to work!

Chris