RE: [OM] Keeping "unused" lens

Subject: RE: [OM] Keeping "unused" lens
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:23:36 -0800

> >Silver-tongued yes. Trustworthy? I dunno ... Aren't you a
> >(gulp) salesman?
>
> Product manager.  I come up with the hype and drivel that the
> salemen spew.  (hey buddy, you wanna buy a DSL connection?)

Hype and drivel.  Not associated with trustworthiness.  Ehhhh thanks for
playing our game.

> 80/4 vs 90/2.  Okay, let's run the equation:
> 80/4=20, 90/2=45  Take your weight divided by your height in
> feet.  ie 200/6=33 (round the results).  Multiply the results by
> the ISO of the film you typically use (Velvia is 50).  ie
> 33x50=1650.  Divide this number by 80 and write down the result.
> Divide this number by 90 and write down the result.  Whichever
> one is closer to 20 or 45 (the first part of this calculation)
> is the lens you must keep.
>
> See, it's easy.

Wait! I think you're off by a factor of 2!

> >Glad to help.  Decide on field vs studio.  Both is tough. Don't
>
> Easy choice:  Field.  Lens choices would be for one as wide as I
> can feasably get and a "normal" focal length.  If I'm feeling
> really punky a tele, but that's optional.  Wouldn't mind picking
> up an old Crown Graphic to be honest.

That would work.  I use a Tachihara.  Adorama and/or B&H sell em, or used to
haven't looked in years. Last I looked - about the same price as a non-USA
E-10.

Normal - 150 or 135.  I like the 135, I have 5 lenses (65, 90, 135, 210 and
300 FYI) and the 135 is used in probably 700f my images. (You don't call
em 'shots' anymore:>)  It's about like a 40-45 or so in Zuiko terms.

Be very careful with wide angles.  In order to focus to infinity, the rear
element needs to get 'real close' (technical term - may be off by +/- factor
of 2) to the film plane.  This will restrict your movements and may even
cause you to fork out big bucks for a twisted piece of metal called a
'recessed lens board'.  The only one I could find to make my 65mm Nikkor
(unfortunately, there are no Zuikkors) work on my Tach had a little crown
thingy on it said 'Linhof'.  Turned out it was a $20 piece of twisted metal
with a $200 little crown thingy.

Probly not tellin ya anything you don't know so I'll quit for now.

George