Re: [OM] Medium Format vs. Digital

Subject: Re: [OM] Medium Format vs. Digital
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:50:49 -0800

Any one with a a pro lab where they have asked the same question?

At the lab where I get business-quality 1-hour processing done,
the only thing they still do in-house is 35mm C-41. E-6 is dead,
they send out the few rolls a week they get.

This isn't a pro lab, it's business-oriented -- appraisals,
insurance, real estate, PR, etc., plus some consumer traffic from
nearby office workers. They used to get quite a bit of E-6 for
slide presentations, but almost everyone has gone digital for
those. I think I'm his last customer putting PowerPoint slides
onto actual slides instead of using a digital projector. He has a
nice E-6 processor in the back room that's just sitting there
taking up space.

I have to admit, I'm not taking him as much business now as I
would have a year ago -- almost all the pictures I take for work
are digital now, faster and cheaper than film. About the only
time I need to shoot film for work is when it's too dark for the
wimpy flash on my A-40, or when I'm taking interior pictures in
spaces too cramped for its limited wide-angle abilities.

--
josh@xxxxxxxxx is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>