[OM] print profiles follow up

Subject: [OM] print profiles follow up
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:32:35 -0800
Thanks to Lama's hours of reading at Barnes & Noble i got a good start
at setting up monitor and printer profiles without having to reinvent
the wheel. Thanks again Lama. I finally gave up and abandoned the image
editor that came with my scanner, I just couldn't get it to print
anything close to what appeared on the monitor.  Finally sprang for an
old copy of PS6 and haven't looked back. Pretty steep learning curve and
I'm still vague about layers, channels, histograms, color spaces, etc.
but I'm getting there. I set up the monitor using Adobe Gamma and Lama's
directions and am getting a pretty close match between what I see and
what I get from the printer. I do believe i will have to set up two
profiles, one for daylight and one for nighttime work. The local library
is a wasteland as far as books about digital printing are concerned. i
ordered the book Lama recommended plus a couple of others through inter
library loan, about 2 weeks out. The library did have one useful book,
"Digital Photographer's handbook", Tom Ang, DK Publishing 2002. It's
worth a look if you are a serious newby but probably nothing new for
experienced users. Several of the  pictures are taken with OM1 and 2n
but mostly EOS and Coolpix. The only book in our library specifically
about Photoshop 6 is in spanish. Fortunately I'm fairly fluent but I
have to learn all the computer lingo and technical terms as I go. It's
actually pretty good for what I as a beginner need. "Photoshop 6.0
Avanzado", Daniel Venditti, MP Ediciones, Buenos Aires. The other two
books i ordered are, "Digital Photography Bible" Ken Milburn (from
Lama's post), and "Adobe Photoshop 6 for Photographers", Martin Evening.
The latter is also available in a newer version for PS7. Anyone familiar
with these books? Any others to be recommended?

Mike