Re: [OM] T-28 problem? Help needed

Subject: Re: [OM] T-28 problem? Help needed
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:32:01 -0500
> From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I know this is obvious, and you probably already know this, but do NOT work on
> the flash heads while connected to the T-Power!

I do know this, but reminders never hurt anybody. Thanks.

> From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>

> There IS a wire inside that flexes back and forth as you turn the switch.
> Could be broken inside the insulation, though I recall having to replace an
> entire coiled wire in order to get it working. It's been awhile since I did
> one, I remember the first one as being, well, annoying.

Uh oh. Thanks for the warning. Though I'd prefer wire problems to
electronics or flash tubes - or am I naive?

From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> It would seem like your problem has to be in the wires/switches. If you
> remove the cable from the T-Control and if you could get to the contacts
> near the flash tube you could check that there is a good connection. I
> wonder if there isn't a short in one side of the cable.

> (I recently left the switch on the flash head itself turned off while
> playing with the L, L+R, R switch. ...)

Continuity checks may be possible. I don't think it's a short, as I'd expect
to see the capacitor discharge and not see the charge light come back so
fast. The "T-28 macro twin flash 1" card seems to imply the switches are for
the modelling lights. I turned them and if I remember correctly there was no
effect on the flash. I'll check once more.

> From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> > Anyone else had this problem?

> Occasionally over the years.  Often it is just the switch, a few times
> the cord itself, once or twice a bad flash tube.

Either you've had a rough time as a user or you're Clint the other repair
guy. :-) This is an encouraging frequency distribution.

Thanks all - I was wondering whether it was operator error. Time to digest
and decide on options to discuss with the seller (I definitely still want
the OM-4T and 50/2 I got with it). More contributions still welcome of
course.

Andrew