Re: [OM] Medium Format vs. Digital

Subject: Re: [OM] Medium Format vs. Digital
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:28:37 +0800
W Shumaker wrote:

> In the article he says "...roof of a parking garage overlooking
> downtown Toronto. This is a favourite testing site of mine...". OK
> so
> how much of his real photography is taking pictures like this?
>
> I upgraded from the LS-2000 (2700 dpi) to the LS-4000 (4000dpi) and
> don't believe that the resolution gain was worth that much for most
> of
> my photography. (the z-axis gain is a different matter though.) When
> you factor in motion blur, depth of field limits to 3-d objects shot
> in
> low light, handheld shots, panned shots, ... somewhere between 2700
> and
> 4000 dpi is more than adequate for most of my photography. How many
> times have you really taken the time to aperture pre-fire your OM
> with
> on a dampended tripod? The real question is whether you were able to
> get the shot you wanted? Could you see it with the camera and did
> that
> moment happen or not?

I also upgraded from LS2000 to 4000ED, the different is big or small?
Up to your judge:

This is crop from a 2700dpi scan with LS2000 - original pixel

http://www.accura.com.hk/digicam/school-z-crop.jpg

This is the same shot scanned with 4000ED - original pixel

http://www.accura.com.hk/velvia.jpg

May be the different is smaller with handheld or negative but I prefer
to get the best scanner I can afford and to me it makes big different
to my shots for both resolution and noise.

C.H.Ling