Ree: 28-80/90F2.8 [ was : Re: [OM] - Another lens that never made it (a

Subject: Ree: 28-80/90F2.8 [ was : Re: [OM] - Another lens that never made it (andthis time itwas a*REAL* pity!)
From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 23:13:10 -0500
They were produced in the late 70's - early 80's when Series 1 was
cost-no-object
quality. It is still pretty easy to find them on eBay in near mint condition for
about $150 - $175 average.

There are some differences that need to be pointed out. Sharpness is similar to
the
Zuiko, but they used a Varifocal design to achieve that. This means you have to
re-focus after you zoom (something most people do anyway) Also, the 35-80 zuiko
is
f2.8 all the way through, and the Viv Series 1 28-90 goes to f3.5 at the very
end of
its range (about 90mm). Also, it has the odd feature of progressively macro
focussing towards the 28mm side. (I think it gets to 1:3 at 28mm)

The 35-80 Vivitar Series 1 f2.8 is an alternate  that is a constant f2.8 but
with
slightly less range. This is also a Varifocal design.

Both Vivitars are top quality construction multicoated lenses.

The only known bug in those lenses is that you need to ask the seller if the
aperture is snappy.
If it is fine, it will stay fine, but some had the tendency to get oil on the
aperture blades.

stay

Larry