Re: [OM] - Another lens that never made it (and this time it was a *REAL

Subject: Re: [OM] - Another lens that never made it (and this time it was a *REAL* pity!)
From: The Butler Family <butlerfamly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:41:52 -0800
Just a follow up to the GRIN lens thread.

It seems likely to me that the GRIN technology is a spin off of the fiber optic industry. Multi mode fiber has the same kind of gradient index of refraction across it's diameter and the way they get it is by starting with a 4" to 5" rod with the same proportional properties. The beginning and end of the original rod are unusable for Fiber production but would be very temping to an optician. My guess is the the gradient is not predictable enough for lens use.

In the early days of fiber installations it turns out it wasn't good enough for the future communication needs either. There are miles of installed fiber that are starting to cause problems in the local networks due to just these inconsistencies. When used with more modern laser transmitters (I believe they have a narrower freqencey output or something) the glass fiber shows unexpectedly high losses. These older networks require a Mode Conditioning Patch cord that purposely injects the laser source off center to avoid the discontinuity in the center of the fiber.

This is all just supposition and conjecture, but it kind of makes sense to me. I'm sure there are other views and/or opinions. If so, I'd like to hear them.

Mike Butler
Dublin, California