[OM] Fishy digital tests?

Subject: [OM] Fishy digital tests?
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:40:11 +0800
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/d60/d60.shtml

Assuming that the megapixel count doubled, and the 6 megapixel was close or better then the 35mm, how does that translate to 11 megapixels of the new Canon being better then a 6x7, which is 4+ times the size of a 35mm film?

From http://www.ephotozine.com/articles/viewarticle.cfm/id/4

"You have probably seen Laurence Parent’s work. He recently illustrated the book TEXAS MOUNTAINS. His landscapes have appeared on calendars, post cards, books, magazines and he has three more books coming out in 2002. Imagine Ansel Adams as a Texan with color film, and you can visualize his work.

Parent has an Epson 1600 scanner, but that’s all the digital he’s interested in for now. 4 x 5 film is what he uses for the fine detail of his landscapes and 35mm is used for fast action photography. Archiving is another aspect of his photography where he says film is supreme. 'I think archiving and storage is going to be more of a problem,' he says. Even though the image itself is composed of millions of 1’s and 0’s rather than celluloid or paper, data storage has gone from a 5 1/4 inch disc to a 3 1/2 inch, to a CD ROM in about a decade. He points out that work done on a digital camera today may be unreadable by equipment in 50 years, but he can store about 10,000 prints in a file cabinet. Parent said a 4' x 5' piece of film has the equivalent of 500 megs of info, so digital has little appeal for him. ' I don’t know any landscape photographer who uses digital to take the photo,' he said."

from http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,27045,00.asp

"To set the scale of detail, a digital camera's resolution is measured according to the total number of lines it can resolve before they begin to run together. A typical 3 megapixel digital camera has a resolving power of about 1,000 lines over the entire image sensor. So, if the CCD is 1/2" in size, that amounts to a total resolution of 2,000 lines per inch. By contrast, the resolution of fine grain 35mm Kodachrome film is about 2,200 lines--per millimeter! That's more than 50 times better raw resolution than digital. Using this for comparison, film scientists sometimes peg Kodachrome's digital equivalent as a 100 megabyte file. Of course, larger film--2 1/4x 31/4, 4x5", etc.--will yield correspondingly more data and overall resolution than a 35mm frame."

It's not I believe one over the other, but I'll start believing when all the stuff said about it, agrees with each other..

Albert