RE: [OM] Medium Format vs. Digital

Subject: RE: [OM] Medium Format vs. Digital
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:25:07 -0800
Following is from an e-mail I just received from Gary Reese.  He asked me to
post it to the list.

George

**********************************

Albert originally wrote, quoting someone locally:
<< I don't know any landscape photographer who uses digital to take the
photo,' he said." >>
Jan Steinman replied:
<< Guess he's never heard of the Muench family. They've gone all
digital, using scanning backs on their 4x5s. >>

Marc Muench is the third generation family member who is digitizing the
family business. He field previews 4x5 shots with Kodak DC-3400 and
DC-4800 digital cameras, which was the subject of a story in Popular
Photography. He still test shoots with Polaroid. He produces prints at
Muench Photography using digital techniques and gives workshops on the
techniques. I see no reference to him or David (Josef is presumably
dead) taking digital 4x5 format originals for commercial outcomes. A
progressive scanning back on a 4x5 is a ridiculous proposition for a
field photographer.  It requires long exposure times during which the
vegetation will move all over the place and be rendered chopped up.
Furthermore, it requires a notebook computer and lots of battery power.
Not the sort of thing to carry to the backcounty, so its limited to
folks who want to make the umpteenth rendering of a view from a roadside
(haven't all those already ben adequately shot?) and do it on a windless
day. Jack Dykinga was forced to write a chapter on digital in his "Large
Format Nature Photography" book.  His experience was far from
successful.

David has all but given up 4x5.  For some years he was mostly using a
Hasselblad.  Now he often uses 35mm!

For more on David and Marc's techniques in the field, see:
<<
http://muenchphotography.com/equipment.phtml?sid=35528cc8b08c4680c4399a5d722
a23a8&t=1043895386

Gary Reese