Re: [OM] wide lens

Subject: Re: [OM] wide lens
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:10:06 -0800
on 1/30/03 7:35 AM, Bernard FRANGOULIS at bernard.frangoulis@xxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

>> I'll add my recommendation for the Zuiko 21/3.5.  A wonderful little lens
>> that takes (thin) 49mm filters and is the same size as a 50/1.8.
>> 21mm is probably my favorite focal length, and mine sees a lot of use.
>

> I have the 24/2.8, which I like a lot and find very crisp. Wouldn't the 21
> give too similar a coverage? In my case the way to go would probably be the
> 18/35, but this one is way more expansive. Or the Tokina or Tamron 17, for
> which I have read mixed reviews.
>
> Bernard

The 21/3.5 is quite a bit 'wider' in view than the 24/2.8. The 18/3.5 has a
49mm filter thread, but the only thing you can safely screw to it is the
49-72 step-up ring. The front element bulges out too far to clear any 49mm
filters. The step-up ring doubles as the lens shade, which give you a clue
as to just how 'wide' a view you get with the 18/3.5... pretty wide!

I'm still thinking about getting the Voigtlander 15mm someday (or even the
12mm...)
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...