Re: [OM] the debate

Subject: Re: [OM] the debate
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:50:59 -0500
At 11:13 AM -0500 1/31/03, W Shumaker wrote:
When testing digital cameras, does anyone actually test the EV range of
digital cameras. We test film showing luminosity versus density. The
other night I was playing with a C-5050 at sunset. No amount of camera
twiddling on my part could get a good shot. So, I'm wondering if there
are any web sites which shows the luminosity range of digital cameras,
not just the line/mm resolution.

In my experience the digital sensors are way too linear, especially when you're only working with 8-bit values. You have an 8-stop range from bright to dark and that's it.That means there's no margin to speak of for print work (you have to put your zones in exactly the right place). And at the low end in particular the luminance resolution is very coarse, as it is for digital display and printing as well. If you're looking at 12-bit images you can do a little better, but the digital nature of the beast means that once the information is lost, it's lost.

paul

Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx