Re: [OM] OT: need advice on soldering

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: need advice on soldering
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:08:58 -0500
At 10:51 PM +0000 1/27/03, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:02:07 -0600
>From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [OM] OT: need advice on soldering
>
>Sears used to sell some liquid flux in a pink bottle that might help --
>if you can find some, try this:

This is the "tinner's flux" I have been talking of.

Tinner's flux is a mixture of zinc chloride and hydrochloric acid.  One can
make this by dropping pieces of zinc metal into muriatic acid (the trade name
for hydrochloric acid).  I don't recall the exact recipe, but a google search
will probably tell the tale.  The recepie has been around for at least a
century.  Muriatic acid is used for cleaning masonry, and can be bought in many
hardware stores.