[OM] Re: wide lens

Subject: [OM] Re: wide lens
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:06:05 -0800
>Jim L'Hommedieu wrote:
>
>> If you used Photoshop, and you want a super-wide of a scenic landscape,
>> remember you can always rotate the camera as you make successive frames and
> > combine frames later...
>
>From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Lot of work involved in that!

You can get so-so results easily with whatever you've taken, but for the best
results, you really do need a special tripod head. Bogen makes one that weighs
a ton for many hundreds of dollars. The Bogen is very nice, but I use a Kiwi
that cost under $150 and disassembles into flat pieces for easy storage and
toting.

The key is to do a "nodal alignment". In order to avoid parallax problems
between frames, you need to rotate the camera about the lens's nodal point.
Each lens will be different, and not predictable by its focal length.

Also note that a stitched wide angle will not "look" the same as a "real" wide
angle. IMHO, the primary purpose of changing focal length is to manipulate
perspective, but with a stitched shot, the perspective will still be that of
the focal length used in each shot.

Requisite Oly content: here's a couple pans done with the 24 shift, OM-4Ti, and
Kiwi pan head:

  <http://www.bytesmiths.com/Art_Gallery/SilverFalls>

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>