Re: [OM] OT: need advice on soldering

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: need advice on soldering
From: "Paul Laughlin" <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:56:52 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Gwinn" <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 9:08 AM

> At 10:51 PM +0000 1/27/03, olympus-digest wrote:
> >Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:02:07 -0600
> >From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: Re: [OM] OT: need advice on soldering
> Tinner's flux is a mixture of zinc chloride and hydrochloric acid.  One
can make this by dropping pieces of zinc metal into muriatic acid (the trade
name for hydrochloric acid).

I had best send this apology for my previous missive.  It seems that
hydrochloric and muriatic are synonymous.  I do know that when we used to
get it for removing scale from large water distilling apparatus, muriatic
acid was much  weaker than if we used hydrochloric acid.  Perhaps it had to
do with our purchasing agents.
Sorry for the quick trigger finger.
Paul in Portland OR