Re: [OM] Altitude/okay, maybe OT now

Subject: Re: [OM] Altitude/okay, maybe OT now
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:51:06 -0800
> At 15,000 feet and above, I can talk, or walk slowly, or chew food, but no
> two of them at the same time. I also get headaches the first couple days.
> Like eating, you can always breathe when you get home.
>
> Wayne

Have you tried the coca tea? It either cures soroche or you don't care
about it anymore, not sure which:>)
Seriously, drink _lots_ of liquids of the non alcoholic kind.

Yes, the cities are polluted but once out in the countryside I've never
seen such crystal clear air. No haze, (that is up on the altiplano, the
jungle is another story). At least that's how it seemed to me living
down here in this brown soup we call air where on some days you can't
tell where the air ends and the water begins.

There are safety concerns but mostly petty crime, pickpockets and such.
I was pickpocketed in a very remote train station by a team of
professionals. A non conspicuous bag for your camera is good and it must
never leave your person or it _will_ disappear. This is one reason I
take a minimalist kit as I'm going to be married to it for the duration.
This is another argument for the cheaper more common Zuik's. If the grit
or thieves get them it's not as bad as that 18 or shift.

mike