Re: [OM] Altitude problem examples

Subject: Re: [OM] Altitude problem examples
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 21:32:11 -0800

On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 06:00  PM, Wayne Culberson wrote:

Here is a photo that is typical of the problem I have experienced in the altitudes of Bolivia. The town in the valley is Pocoata, the place where we were helping to put a roof on their church building in April 2001. The town
is at about 10 or 11,000 feet, and we took time to climb this hill one
afternoon, which would be a little higher. You can see from the small
shadows that the sun is about overhead. The scene seemed bright and clear, at least that is how I remember it. But the colors in the slide looks, well, muddy, dull, etc., even in the foreground. This was taken with a zoom and UV
filter, Kodachrome 64, a combo that gives me great colors here in NB,
Canada.
Here is another one of a closer subject, the walls of the building before the roof was on. Again, it was taken in the middle of the day, with the same
muddy look to the colors.
When you bring back a lot like this, it is frustrating.
Wayne

I know I will offend some people on the list but here goes. That is typical Kodachrome color rendition in the desert. I have a friend who is a desert buff and Kodachrome fan. Almost all his pictures look like this, except during the hours near dawn and near sunset. I tried a couple of rolls of it when I used to go camping in the desert with him and got the same thing. Change brands of film and it will look very different. What is weird is that he loves pictures that look like this. Try Velvia or any modern film that is not trying to preserve a rendition that pleases people who have been using it for 30 years.

Parenthetically high noon is the worst time to take a good looking picture.

On the first one I would have balanced the exposure more with the distance so the overall shot would have been about a half stop less exposure which would improve it I think. One reason I like that spot meter in the OM4T. Or framed it differently so that main part of the picture had the correct exposure, either the exposure you have with the mountain in front filling the frame or more of the distance with less exposure and letting the little bit of mountain in front go dark. The second shot looks fine considering the film and time of day.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA