Re: [OM] Altitude problem examples

Subject: Re: [OM] Altitude problem examples
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 08:08:33 -0600
At 09:32 AM 2/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Winsor, you're not offending me at all, as I am looking for help. That is
why I want others experiences and advice. I am planning to abandon
Kodachrome 64 for this next trip. The problem with Velvia is that I have
practically no experience with it, so am thinking of using Kodak Elitechrome
100 extra color. I think Kodak actually has a new film out to replace it
though, called UC for ultra color, or something like that.
Before I was using an OMPC, which has no spot meter, but this time I plan to
use an OM2s for the spot meter advantage. I'll have to see if that helps me
any.
Wayne

Wayne,
A spot meter per se wouldn't have improved the photos you posted. You did the best that could be done. But I think you will find that either Velvia or Elitechrome will give you much more latitude to experiment with exposure. I would recommend that for any important scene you shoot, shoot a 2/3 stop bracket on either side of the exposure (so easy with the OM-2S). It's the best way to learn about the characteristics of your film under various lighting situations, and you'll bring home more winners that way.

Good luck and have a blast,
Joel W.