Re: [OM] the death of labs

Subject: Re: [OM] the death of labs
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 15:40:49 -0800 (PST)
On the subject of pro-labs dropping C41 and E6 processing...

These are labs that have kissed off the mass populace in the
past. Walmart's labs are doing a bigger business than they ever
have before.  The market is out there, but one must be willing
to accept the dregs of society in order to thrive at it.

On a side note:  The Walmart minilab here in my town does C41
better than ANY pro lab I've ever used.  Even the "proof prints"
are of highest quality.

Regarding E6 processing:  Those pros that shoot tons of film
usually migrated to internal processing to save costs.  A few
thousand dollars in equipment and training paid for itself in
months.

Regarding BW processing:  Having converted to my own processing
I'll NEVER go back.  On a bad day, my worse negs are better than
the best I ever got from any pro lab.

A prolab struggling with the demise of business due to digital
had probably just a few corporate accounts that kept it in
business prior to the shift.  When DEC cratered, there were
hundreds of businesses that failed in New England.  Digital
imaging is a favorite whipping boy for photography businesses
that have lost their primary accounts in this current economy.

AG