[OM] Portrait to short telephoto lens

Subject: [OM] Portrait to short telephoto lens
From: Craig Cunningham <craig.cunningham@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 18:00:27 -0600
I need some advice on a lens selection, please.

After reading John Lind's wonderful site on taking wedding photographs
(multiple times), I reluctantly agreed to be 'the photographer' for my niece's
wedding on Feb. 1. Although this was my third wedding, it was the first one I
was doing in the winter where everything was indoors.

I followed John's advice of taking my trusted 50mm f/1.8 with me, but had
delusions of taking most of the photos with my Zuiko 35-105 f/3.5-4.5. I was
in for a big surprise!

Being February (cold & dreary) in Minnesota doesn't make outdoor photos a
feasible proposition.

Being indoors in a dimly lit country club made me realize how important the
dual T-32's I had mounted on my Stroboframe Camera Flip bracket were, and how
I would have been totally screw*d if I didn't have the 50mm f/1.8 with. I
couldn't focus on anything with the 35-105 zoom attached to my beloved OM-2n.
It was a real eye opener (not to mention a test of the effectiveness of my
deodorant :-)

I did try some practice shots at the rehearsal, but the room that the actual
ceremony would take place in wasn't available for the rehearsal, so I went
into this pretty "blind."

Anyhow, I 'think' I did okay sticking with the 50mm, but I would have really
been much happier if I had a moderate telephoto in my fanny pack during the
ceremony.

I know that the 85mm f/2 is supposed to be great, but given my funds (or lack
thereof), I'm wondering if anyone has tried using the 100mm f/2.8 for similar
indoor work?

Looking around I can find a clean 85mm f/2 for $275 or so, while a comparable
condition 100mm f/2.8 is $100 less.

I'm leaning towards the 100mm lens since my day-to-day outdoor lens is the
35-105 zoom, and I think the 100 (or 85) would be only used when indoors.

Comments? Experiences with the 100mm f/2.8?

Thanks,

Craig