Re: [OM] OT: OT posts and list bully

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: OT posts and list bully
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 12:23:01 -0800
on 2/3/03 10:30 PM, Richard F. Man at richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> <warning/OT/rant/delete now if not interested>
> I have a most distasteful experience in the last few days, makes me
> *appreciate* how tolerant people here are on OT or semi-OT posts. Generally
> I don't participate in OT posts and the delete key is only one keystroke
> away. I have been online since early 80's, and are currently on half a
> dozen lists. A few days ago, I joined the Cos*na Vo*gtlander list, first to
> ask if anyone has used the SL 40/2 lens. Since I didn't get any response, I
> ended up buying it anyway. Then I hung around since I am also interested in
> a Rangefinder (RF) camera. So I asked a few questions. One interesting side
> effect is that is turns out that there are quite a few numbers of OM'ers
> and ex-OM'ers on the list. In fact, most of their recommendation is that
> the RF and the OM are complimentary rather than exclusionary despite (and
> may be in fact, because of) the similarity of size and simplicity of
> controls. I personally didn't even contribute to the follow on non-ON Topic
> posts, but I got one person telling me if I don't know why I want a RF,
> than I don't need one, and then another private post telling me to "take
> the sh*t off." Wow! If I am about to spend $1000-$3000 on a new system, I
> would think it is prudent to ask. I guess they think I am not serious and
> trolling there, but it is just too much list bullyism for my taste. So I
> unsubscribed. Still feel a bad taste in my mouth.
>
> Well, thanks for listening :-)
>
> // richard <http://www.imagecraft.com>
> On-line orders, support, and listservers available on web site.
> [ For technical support on ImageCraft products, please include all previous
> replies in your msgs. ]

Well Richard, I'm one of those OM'ers with an interest in RF cameras also...
I've been on the CV list for a year or so. Those replies were a bit out of
character for the list as a whole, so accept my apology for that. What you
discovered is probably the same thing someone new here on the OM list might
encounter... while we are generally pretty tolerant IMO regarding
'meandering ' topics, some on this list (as on *every* list) appoint
themselves (almost said 'annoint') to 'enforce' a close attention to the
list subject. Please note that I am not singling out any current list
members, actually we all take this position from time to time. The list as a
whole rose up against Dr. Candemir when he got grossly out of line... as it
should have. Generally I think this list and the CV list are tolerant of a
diversity of opinion and topics, and this is also as it should be.

Many of the more tolerant list members just let this sort of stuff go, as
they do the OT posts... it seems to me that even while tolerating OT posts
or not, we should try to remember to be civil and courteous. Sadly it is
apparently easy to be less courteous behind a keyboard that it would be
face-to-face. I've seen posts on some lists that if stated to the other's
face would surely have resulted in a bloody nose...!

Having cut my internet eyeteeth on USENET rec.motorcycles in the early
1990's I guess I have a thick skin for abusive posts, but the 'delete' key
is still handy and nearby. I hope you got some good sense of the value of
the CV cameras and particularly the lenses. Short of spending many thousands
of $$$ on a Leica system the CV equipment represents a best value for a 35mm
RF system today. I'd love to buy some of their stuff as a complement to my
OM equipment, unfortunately recent events push that date out yet again...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...