Re: [OM] Which lens with the converter?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which lens with the converter?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 15:21:52 -0800
In theory, you should get sharper results with the 50/3.5, as it is already designed for close up work. In practice, you can run into a real speed problem. At infinity with the 2x, it becomes a 100/7 lens, already dim enough to cause trouble focusing. Then as you go into macro range, the effective aperture gets even smaller, as happens with all macro extensions, but it's particularly bad starting so slow. I'm not talking about exposure aperture, but the amount of light available for viewing/focusing with the lens wide open. If doing any serious macro work with tripod, copy stand, etc. I would simply use the 50/3.5 and extension tubes, if necessary, especially if flat field is desireable.

The instructions say it is best used for macro purposes with a standard 50mm f2/0-1/4 lens, IIRC?

Moose

Keith Allchin Sheffield UK wrote:

Hello everyone.

Hope this is not a stupid question.

I have the Vivitar 2X Macrofocussing Teleconverter. For macro work, is it
better to use it with the 50/3.5 macro or the 50/1.8? I have both lenses.