Re: [OM] Name vs. performance

Subject: Re: [OM] Name vs. performance
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 23:04:54 -0800
on 2/4/03 3:58 PM, Winsor Crosby at wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 03:32  PM, danrich wrote:
>
>> Tell me why you would buy a $800 90mm Zuiko macro over a less than
>> half the
>> cost Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro the out performs the Zuiko 4.3 vs. 4.2 ?
>> Are we nuts or are we getting into logo's or collection?
>> Dan
>>

> I will let people who own one and who perhaps replaced their Tamron
> with one answer in specifics. The obvious one is speed and isolating
> depth of field when needed. Small gains always cost a lot more. A
> 100/2.8 costs a lot less than a 100/2.0 even when they are both OMs. I
> have the Tamron 2.5 model. It feels chintzy and the flimsy plastic hood
> feels cheap even though it makes nice images. It does not handle like
> an OM lens and I have to fumble around with it whenever I use it
> because it is different. It is heavy and clunky for its speed. I do not
> use it much because I worry that the poorly made adaptor will
> eventually grind off the sensor button on my OM4T. I bought it new and
> anyone would love to get an OM lens at that depreciation rate. I, for
> one, would replace it with the Zuiko 90/2 or the 85, but I have begun
> to wonder whether I will be shooting all digital with a new camera a
> couple of years from now.
>

> Winsor Crosby
> Long Beach, California, USA

I have the Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 macro... I'd still love to have the Zuiko
90/2.0. The Vivitar is solid metal, focuses 'right' and handles well. Its
also very very sharp... The Zuiko isn't 5X as good, but it is 5X as
expensive (roughly) and that's why I don't have one. But I'd still like to
have one. Some of thats collecting, some of thats the extra ~1/2 stop of
speed, some of that's to have the occasionally described 'special glow' of
this particular lens. By many accounts it is an outstanding lens, probably
better than my Vivitar, not 5X better, but still better... Would I ever see
the differences? I don't know. Would I know there are differences? Yes, and
if I could I'd have one just to find out. But that Vivitar is really very
good, anyway... I'd probably keep it, too.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...