Re: [OM] Which lens with the converter?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which lens with the converter?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 23:18:17 -0800
on 2/4/03 1:45 PM, Keith Allchin  Sheffield UK at kfa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> Hope this is not a stupid question.
>
> I have the Vivitar 2X Macrofocussing Teleconverter. For macro work, is it
> better to use it with the 50/3.5 macro or the 50/1.8? I have both lenses.
>
> Keith
> Keith Allchin       Sheffield  UK

Keith -- What are you after here? The Zuiko 50/3.5 already goes to 1:2
macro. The Vivitar 2X with a 50mm lens gets you to 1:1, but you can get that
with the Zuiko and a 25mm extension tube (get the automatic tubes, they are
much easier than a manual tube for anything other than copystand work).
Further, the Zuiko macro lens is more 'optimized' for the closeup images...
more so without the added optics of the Vivitar in the light path.

I speculate you might get better images (resolution and distortion) with a
real macro lens design. OTOH, the Vivitar 2X will get you a 100/4.0
(roughly) at infinity, which is a faster aperture than the Zuiko with a 2X
on it at infinity. One thing you will gain with the Vivitar is some working
distance from the subject, the 50/3.5 with an extension tube gets 1:1 with
about 3 inches of working distance in front of the lens, the Vivitar should
give you more than that. If you have both lenses, try them both and report
back to us with examples... <g>
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...