[OM] fast/slow OM lenses....

Subject: [OM] fast/slow OM lenses....
From: "james olson" <james_olson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 11:19:19 -0800
I've talked with a few list members over the years off list about the different characteristics of the fast/slow Olympus lenses, and I'm wondering how others feel about this topic.

I've gotten caught up in the past with the faster and more expensive Olympus lenses, many of which I've sold. From lenses I've owned, it seems that the 28/2 and 100/2 are cooler (sharper, but less warm)than their f/2.8 counterparts. If any of you have tested, does there seem to be certain situations that the older single coated lenses are superior?

With the 28/2, I loved the black and white results, but when shooting slides, I didn't like the color cast at all, so sold the lens. I sold the 35/2 I owned, although it seemed warmer than the fast 28/2 and 100/2.....

So while the 90/2, 50/2, 28/2, 100/2, etc. are sharper, and "world class" is sharper always best? I find myself grabbing the 50/3.5 and 100/2.8 for consistent and likable images more often than their faster counterparts. Any ideas out there?

James.