Re:[OM] fast/slow OM lenses....

Subject: Re:[OM] fast/slow OM lenses....
From: "gries" <gries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 11:08:52 -0600
James:

i also see a difference in the various lenses i have used.  interesting that
you mention the 100/2 and 28/2 being similar as this is what i have observed
recently.

As for me, i find that my SC 35 shift is quite different from the 24 shift -
so much so that i will only use one or the other on a given subject.  for
me, i use the 18/3.5, 24 shift and Tamron 80-200/2.8 as a good kit.  i also
have the 35 shift paired with the 135/2.8 (SC) and 300/4.5 (also SC) and
formally a 21/3.5.  i still regret getting rid of that 21/3.5, but i
couldn't justify its use with an 18 available.  i also think the tones from
my 16/3.5 are similar to the 35 shift, but it is very high contrast, and w/o
even lighting, it can turn ugly.

i think you are good with the 50/3.5 and 100/2.8 combo.  the 50/3.5 is
easily one of my favorites, and i think that everyone needs either a 85/2 or
100/2.8 instead of a zoom that covers that range.  its an invaluable focal
length.

As for getting rid of a lens because it doesn't match another one, i would
say that you should figure out its characteristics and use it to its
fullest!  i recently shot my 50/3.5 next to a 50/1.4 and was amazed at how
much i liked the shot with the 50/1.4!  i usually prefer the 50/3.5, but the
warm morning directional light just seemed to work better with the 50/1.4.
this also applies to bokeh - there are some lenses that are just made for
OOF elements, and others that should be avoided.  i think any well balenced
Zuiko diet will have some lenses that don't always "fit" with the others,
but they will shine given the right circumstances.

that's all for right now from this un-repentant Zuikoholic! ;)

Bob Gries