Re: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 14:07:32 -0500
My wife at last realized that the GMC Yukon Denali she had been
driving for nearly three years was a little bit too big, at least
for us empty-nest types.  Oh, it was great when we took long
trips; there was room for everything we could possibly imagine we
might need, or want, and even after it was all loaded, we still
could hear the echo from the cavernous back.  Like other vehicles
its size, it might be ideal for those with a litter of kids, but I
don?t think we ever filled it up.

Anyway, we have now done our bit for the environment, certainly
enough for this year, and probably the next.  We traded the huge
Yukon in on a more reasonably-sized and fuel-efficient 4WD Chevy
Trailblazer LTZ.  She particularly likes it because it?s got more
bells and whistles than the Toonerville Trolley, and we no longer
have to shout across the great console divide and get into
arguments because of misunderstandings caused by the echo.

We?re still a two-SUV-family (a Toyota 4Runner is my camera
hauler), but now we can frown, maybe even occasionally rudely
gesture, at the road hogs and destroyers of the environment who
continue driving those humongous, gas-guzzling Navigators,
Expeditions, Escalades, Suburbans, Landcrushers, et al.  Somebody
needs to do something about them, and the sooner the better! ;-)

Yeah, your favorite SUV-driving, gun-toting, meat-eating, whisky-
drinking, anti-government, libertarian, agnostic, Zuikoholic, if-
they-have-no-smoking-areas-why-can?t-they-have-no-children-areas,
if-your-dog-craps-in-my-yard-I?ll-stick-it-in-your-ear asshole may
be mellowing ever so slightly with age.  So, maybe I?ll renew my
Sierra Club membership.  Or maybe not.

But you can keep your PETA and Handgun Control literature.  I?ll
never be that loony, not even after the inevitable Alzheimer?s
kicks in.

Walt

P.S.
What's an Aspen environmentalist?
Somebody who built his A-frame last year.