Re: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)
From: Conrad Vogel <conrad@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:30:01 -0800
It used to be, but 14 mpg isn't very good these days. The newer diesel engines run a lot more efficienly than the older powerstrokes, cummins & (gasp) GM's attempts.

Most of the newer diesels will get about 10-12 towing, 16 around town & 20-21 crusin' along (with your foot out of it).

I'm not sure what the sticker says I should be getting.

And the "DIC" which is the onboard computer is funny - the "instant mpg" will tell you you are getting 99 mpg coasting down a hill, and the lowest it'll go is 3mpg, stomping on it from a standstill. It is really quite acurate over about 1000 miles however. Within about 1/2mpg of my own figures.

I'm more than pleased with my Duramax.

CV

I was not really talking about you, Conrad, although your statement made me think about it. I was thinking about the neighbor who claims 29 mpg on his two ton Lincoln Town Car. And others I have heard. Just as a point of reference, my brother has had three 3/4 ton trucks and is quite happy getting his 14 mpg from diesel after the 8-10 mpg he got from the gasoline versions.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA