RE: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 21:24:23 -0800
You saw one of those in a BMW and it was just a vacuum guage?  Good for you.

Have you sat in any other cars lately?  FYI, many *modern* cars (no offense,
BMW) have these things called "computers" in them.  And there are "sensors"
measuring lots of "parameters" including things like "distance travelled"
(this one is called an odometer).  And then there's a device called a "fuel
pump" thru which all the gasoline travels to the "engine" to be burned.  A
device called a "flowmeter" can measure the amount of fuel passing thru the
"fuel pump". Then, check this out, the "computer" can do an arithmetic
process called "Division" according to this formula:
        Miles per gallon = distance travelled (in miles) / fuel used (in
gallons)
(WOW!)
The resulting number can then be posted to a human readable output device
called, for example, a "Seven segment display".  It's really quite
incredible.  Your Yugo doesn't have this?  Your neighbor's Lincoln DOES.  My
Lincoln Mark 8 had one of these devices. FYI, I got 27-28 mpg on the
highway. And I am NOT lying. Neither is your neighbor and neither is the
computer in the Lincoln.

And it's *because* these devices measure instantaneous values that they'll
say 99mpg downhill (not much fuel being burned then) and 2mpg accelerating
from a red light.  That's when all the fuel is turned into energy to get all
that steel rolling.  Most of these devices can also output average mpg. This
can be reset at any time.

I often wonder why people express opinions when they have not bothered to
learn much about the subject.

OK, everyone, flame away if you think this is an unwarranted attack.  Just
try to remember who started this thread by claiming to know who is a
**liar**.  And by showing his ignorance of the modern automobile.

George (I can't help it.)