RE: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:51:53 +1100
> George M. Anderson [mailto:george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> Most of these devices can also output average mpg. This
> can be reset at any time.

My car's got a computer. It cost $1.99 and it sits in the
glovebox. I use it to divide the number of litres of fuel I put in,
by the number of kilometers I've travelled since I last
put fuel in divided by 100, and I get the number of litres
per 100km, the standard way fuel is measured and given in
my country (I'm sure the maths is pretty easy, if not easier,
doing miles per gallon).

It's undoubtedly nowhere near as accurate as those nifty trip
computers, and certainly not as much "at call" or fun (especially
for a "gadgetfreak" like myself), but it works pretty well. A
calculator can be a "poor man's laptop" for a multitude of
uses.

None of the cars we've ever owned together (8 - of different
"varieties") got the economy claimed by the manufacturer, though
the Malaysian Proton Satria came closest. They were usually a
couple of litres above.

Must be something in either the manufacturers claims, or, more
likely, our government standard by which it is calculated.

Wouldn't mind a trip-computer though. Can I download the data
too?

Cheers
Marc (a gadgetfreak and a stat's-head)
Sydney, Oz