Re: [OM] [OT] Driving in snow...

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Driving in snow...
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:38:47 -0800

On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 03:28  AM, Donald MacDonald wrote:

Actually, it's a bit like photographers and their tools (content...)

I love the winter, and I love the mountains. I've had a Morris Minor, a
Volkswagen Beetle, a Wolseley 15/60, a Mini Clubman and a Nissan Micra.

You can drive in snow that is surprisingly close in depth to the clearance of your car. In the Mini's case, even closer. Think crossing Drumochter in
deep snow, following the ruts made by articulated trucks...

Until you reach clearance, it's about being canny and knowing about traction
and weight distribution.

That Ford thing with the camper back that we hired in Canada was too much
vehicle for the roads.

Anywhere I'd need a 4WD, at least in the UK, I prefer to walk...

Donald.

Donald Neil MacDonald, BA DipLIS
www.bigmac1st.freeserve.co.uk

You are, without a doubt, much more skilled than most of us. When I was in the Army I was in Germany. Our barracks was at the top of an icy/snowy hill. I used to marvel at the German taxis that used to zip right up the hill, without chains, in any kind of non-4WD car - MB, Opel, etc. , while Americans driving Jeeps with 4WD engaged and chains spun out and hit the snowbanks on the side.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA