RE: [OM] RE: [OT] Protestors

Subject: RE: [OM] RE: [OT] Protestors
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:14:29 -0800
I went to Northeastern Univ in Boston in the late 60s. Didn't really know
which way I was turning politically, was open to ideas.  There was the SDS,
and there was - well everything else.

Anyway, one week all of a sudden Big SDS Protest planned against the
horrible disgusting fascist from California, SI Hayakawa.  WHo the hell was
he I thought?  I read a little, didn't see him as Hitler, but went to the
'protest' just to see.

Was there any substantive reason for the protest? Not that I could see. What
happened? A few SDSers used a Mr microphone to disparage SI, the USA and
God, then the crowd began to throw rocks at anything breakable.  So this is
political dissent?  As soon as the mayhem started, I hightailed it out of
there.  As I left the quad, running across Huntington Ave toward my car, I
met a cop coming the other way -towards the melee. As we passed, he swung
his nightstick at me. I ducked and took a glancing blow on my shoulder. At
first I was pissed but then I realized the meaning of guilt-by-association.
As I approached my car, I encountered several more crowds of thugs, taking
advantage of the situation, trashing cars and anything they could find.

Although I did pretty much lean to the left at the time, I wrote SDS off as
just a bunch of argumentative anarchists with only complaints, no solutions,
who would protest their own mothers if they thought it would be a lark.  I
think todays war 'protesters' are pretty much the same ilk.  Except they do
have one collective thought - get the Republican out of the white house.
After all, **where were they** when Bill Clinton was bombing Yugolslavia
back into the Stone Age, killing thousands of civilians, women and children?
Ha, they were watching on TV and repeating a mantra inspired by Animal Farm:
"Democrat bombs good, Republican bombs bad."

George