[OM] Re: Strange times...

Subject: [OM] Re: Strange times...
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:47:54 -0800
>From: ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
>In <1D7EEF01-3AD0-11D7-B2F5-000393B6F4F4@xxxxxxxxx>, on 02/07/03
>   at 11:12 AM, "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx> said:
>
>>Ah, the Day of the Locust tendency. Large concerts and sporting events
>>often seem to bring that out in people.
>
>Since we're off on a tangent, wot the hell: people interested in this
>fascinating
>character of crowds might want to look up the writings of Gabriel Le Bon and
>Gustav Tarde.

There's a fascinating essay that draws an analagy between locusts and humans in
High Country News, specifically, the Rocky Mountain Grasshopper, which in 1875,
swarmed in a huge cloud nearly the size of a large rectangular western state,
eating everything in its path. In less than 30 years, it was extinct.

The author, a professional entymologist, raises the question that humans may
close to the "swarm stage," and that our fate may be similar.

I tried to find it on-line at <http://www.hcn.org>, but they require a
subscription to read the current issue. In a month or so, mere mortals should
be able to read it on-line.

Requisite Oly Content: if you go to that website, I'll bet the grasshopper and
train were taken with a Zuiko 90/2... :-)

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>