Re: [OM] Re: OT SUV/EPA Mileage

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OT SUV/EPA Mileage
From: VS <VS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 11:29:32 +1100
In the message I received, "George M. Anderson" writes:

Shame on you all, off topic posters!

Really.

>Your data below seems to me to prove this statement illogical.  Your mileage
>in the 4 bangers is only a bit high - more so for the Honda.  But within
>10%.  I would say the EPA numbers being within 10 0s very useful.  After
>all, they're not accounting for the you drive vs the way the next guy
>drives, they're doing a controlled measurement in a lab. Especially with a 5
>speed, driving technique can cause mileage to vary a *lot*.  My guess is,
>you don't try to win many stoplight races with these 2.

Actually, with never cars with direct fuel injection, from what I've
experienced so far, it's better if you do go and try to win stoplight
races. :-) My better half tends to compete in most of them and the
outcome was quite surprising. When she drove like a granny on three
consecutive fuel tanks, the average fuel consumption was about 1.3l per
100km[1] more than when she drives normally (Ie, a bit more aggresively).

YMMV,

Saso

[1] too early for me to get this translated to MPG[2]
[2] one for american galon and imperial galon