RE: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (fuel and air mass-flow meters)

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (fuel and air mass-flow meters)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 14:16:40 -0500
At 11:03 PM +0000 2/7/03, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 08:05:46 +1300
>From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)
>
>[snip]
>If your motor has fuel injection, it also probably measures it in volume; cold
>fuel - more calorific value per stroke, hot weather, less. Don't know how
>carburettors would be affected. Probably the same.

Modern fuel injection engines measure temperatures and flows, compute (or
measure) air mass-flow and fuel mass-flow (compensated for temperature).   Some
cars measure mass flow directly, using a hot-wire flowmeter (the greater the
mass flow, the greater the electric power needed to keep the wire temperature
at the target value), some infer mass flow from volume flow and temperature.
This complexity is a result of the laws requiring low pollution from
automobiles, despite no maintenance for 50,000 miles.  A tightly-controlled
engine generates less unburned hydrocarbons et al for the catalytic converter
to handle.

OM Content:  My Volvo-brand camera transporter likes single-digit OMs best, and
measures airfolw with a hot-wire anometer.  The wire is made of platinium.
Don't know how the fuel flow is measured.

Joe Gwinn