Re: [Re: [OM] Portrait to short telephoto lens]

Subject: Re: [Re: [OM] Portrait to short telephoto lens]
From: Craig Cunningham <craig.cunningham@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 23:53:08 -0600
Scott,

I used Portra-160NC 135-36 Professional Color Print Film (ISO-160) (I bought
it from B&H Photo for $3.99 per roll). The Porta-160NC worked beautifully.

The T-32 flash has a Guide Number of 104 vs. the G-40's Guide Number of 131. I
might have been able to get by with a single T-32, but since I had two of
them, I decided to use both. They did recycle very fast as long as my f-stop
was somewhere between f1.8 - f5.6. F8 was stopped down too much for the
flashes to properly illuminate the subject.

Your IS-3 lens is a f4.5 ~ 5.6 variable aperture, so you won't get as much
light in as my 50mm f1.8 or my 35-105 f3.5 ~ 4.5, but then again, you've got
the on-board flash. I looked at the Olympus website, and it says that your
on-board flash has twin tubes with a GN of 92, so 'if' the on-board flash can
be used at the same time as the G-40, you should be in good shape.

When I was less than 8 ft. away from the bride during posed shots, I used the
Stofen Omni-Bounce diffusers on my flashes to try and cut down on the glare
that she would have gotten directly from the flashes. I couldn't bounce my
flashes off the vaulted ceiling since I was looking at a 20ft ceiling, and too
much light loss. The rest of the time I used both T-32's straight on my
subjects.

Be sure to go to the rehearsal or try to check out the church/facility where
the wedding is to take place to try and get an idea of what the lighting will
be like. Another option is bringing along some Porta-400NC film in case the
160NC isn't sufficiently sensitive for the low light.

Most of all, I'd recommend studying John Lind's web site on Photographing a
Friend's or Relative's Wedding --
http://johnlind.tripod.com/wedding/

It's a great resource, and is authored by a very talented Zuikoholic.

BTW, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the pictures I got back from
the wedding -- my only complaint is that I didn't CONTINUALLY REMIND some of
my subjects that they needed to look at the lens. Although their heads were
facing the camera, the photos show that they diverted their gaze elsewhere
(maybe trying to avoid the flash?).

The bride did a great job, but a number of shots of the groom (and the bride's
father) have the bride smiling beautifully at the camera while one or both of
the men looking off some other direction.

It was a lot of hard work, but the bride was very pleased with the results.

 - Craig