Re: [Re: [OM] Ideal lens for photographing inside a church?]

Subject: Re: [Re: [OM] Ideal lens for photographing inside a church?]
From: Craig Cunningham <craig.cunningham@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 23:57:49 -0600
Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 03:02 PM 2/8/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I plan to take pictures of my niece's baptism in a few weeks and am using
> >that as an excuse to get another Zuiko.  I currently have a 28/2.8 and a
> >50/1.8, but am considering a zoom lens (maybe a 35-105/3.5-4.5) because I
> >have no idea how close or how far I will be from the "action".  I'd
> >obviously like to be able to get some practical use out of the lens after
> >the baptism, and since I don't currently have a telephoto lens, I figured
> >a zoom lens was the best way to go (in terms of having a good, everyday
> >lens mounted to my OM-2 most of the time).  Still, I'm not sure how the
> >lighting will be in this particular situation, so I'm a little hesitant
> >about the zoom lens because of some of the previous posts I've read about
> >the viewfinder being too dark for focusing.  I'm also considering a
> >35-70/3.5-4.5, although I fear that I might not like the shorter zoom
> >range.  Still, it's cheaper and smaller than the 35-105.
> >
> >Can anyone offer some suggestions?  I'm not completely opposed to just
> >getting another prime lens, but like I said, I'd prefer to take the
> >opportunity to get a good all-purpose lens, which might mean a zoom lens
> >of some sort.
>
> Personally, this is not the situation for which I would prefer a zoom.  I
> really enjoy zooms for landscape shooting because  1) one or two of them
> give you tremendous focal range and are easier to carry than 10-15 lenses,
> and  2) they are usually very good tripod-mounted and stopped down, which
> they are apt to be in landscape shooting.  Indoors I would be more
> comfortable planning ahead on how to use one or two focal lengths -- the
> faster the lens, the better.
>
> But get the 35-105 anyway.  :)
>
> Joel W.

I strongly agree with Joel. I recently took a wedding with two lenses -- the
50mm f1.8 and a 35-105 f3.5 ~ f4.5. I ended up using the 50mm for about 900f
my shots -- the zoom just wasn't bright enough for me to focus quickly and
accurately. Then again, I have a series 1 screen in my OM-2n, and at 48, my
eyesight is mediocre at best.

In hindsight, I really wished that I had a 85mm f/2 or a 100mm f/2.8 as my
second lens along with my 50mm. I love my 35-105 zoom for outdoor photography,
but my recent experience has me shopping for the 85 or 100 as my second indoor
wedding/family event lens.

 - Craig