[OM] [OT] Back to school [was: Bokeh]

Subject: [OM] [OT] Back to school [was: Bokeh]
From: "Michael R. Collins" <Michael.Collins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 21:03:09 -0500
You know, as a returning student I really feel that I'm getting a lot out of school that I never got in my youth. It seems like almost every day I learn something useful and I take care in my work like I never did in my youth. When an honors frat sent me an invitation to join last year it was actually a shock. I guess I knew that I was getting good grades, but somehow it hadn't sunk in that I wasn't still the ne'er-do-well brat who used to sneak by with C's. This time, though, it isn't about appeasing the faculty or my parents. If I do poorly now it's just me proving that I was right to drop out and get a job 20 years ago. It's great to be taking classes with a purpose, too.

[snip]

Going back to school has been about the most positive experience I've ever had.

I know the feeling. I completely failed first year university, but (fortunately) was kept on by the company with whom I had my co-op work terms, until the next September came around. Even in one year, I learned enough of the business world to go back with a very focused attitude and some actual goals. Most amusing to catch up on some first-year courses in fourth year (really my sixth year!) alongside recent Gr. 13 graduates [this was Ontario, in case you're wondering...] not sure what had just hit them!

In the past few weeks I've taken a 35mm portraiture course, and learned more than I could ever have imagined about confronting my difficulties with photographing people as opposed to inanimate objects. [ObOM: using my OM-1 and OM-2n, of course. And sometimes a Zuiko lens.] Things I should have learned about three decades ago, but now I can see more of the real issues rather than just the technical ones.

Michael
--

Michael R. Collins  ...  Michael.Collins@xxxxxxxxx
Toronto, Ontario, Canada