Re: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:59:13 +1300
Roger commented  on my>
>  > THere was/is a petrol station in Taupo (central, North
> > Island NZ) where due to the underground volcanic activity, the petrol
> > always came out HOT.
>
> Wow - didn't anyone think it might have been a bad idea to put a petrol
> station in the middle of a geothermal area?  Surely an accident waiting
> to happen!
>
> Roger

Yes probably but not what you seem to be inferring. There's no live lava at
the city of Taupo; just steam.

There are at least 3 cities in this volcanic belt - Kawerau, Rotorua, Taupo.
You could add Whakatane, Tauranga, and Tokoroa.

Lake Taupo is not just any old lake (Taupo city is on the shore). It is the
site
of the largest ever volcanic eruption, and only about 1,200 years ago. The
hole in the middle of the North Island NZ, is Lake Taupo. There are
geothermal power-stations in the area, sucking out residual heat.

It is no accident that I have chosen to live 500+ miles distant - and I used to
live in Rotorua.

I forget the area of Lake Taupo, but if anybody is desperate to know, I can
dig the figure out. It is not a shallow lake either. Some explosion.

OM content; nice winter scenery at Hatepe, Huka Falls, Mountains
Ngauruhoe, Ruapehu and Tongariro (all live volcanoes); great rainbow trout
fishing. Excellent water-skiing

Brian