[OM] OT: College as trade school

Subject: [OM] OT: College as trade school
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:36:57 -0800
>From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
>
>What amazed me was the other girl who said she was going to improve her
>standard of living by reading auras.  Maybe she'd do okay with that in
>Davis, California but never in upstate New York.

You might be surprised. I dated an astrologer from Tupper Lake once.

My theory is that the level of irrational belief in a community is constant. So
as church attendance goes down, something has to pick up the slack.

IMHO, the notion that any one person (or small, select group of people) has a
direct pipeline to a deity that they speak in the name of is every bit as nutty
as reading auras. But you can get a degree in divinity, and from the looks of
some televangelists, it is possible to make a pretty good living at it. So why
not auras?

To hold one irrational belief while simultaneously saying other irrational
beliefs are invalid is itself irrational, but that's the way most religions
operate, no?
--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>