Re: [OM] Not a need for speed?

Subject: Re: [OM] Not a need for speed?
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:14:23 +0000

Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:52:34 -0500
ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

In <20030211001953.3e2c1028.T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 02/11/03 at 12:19 AM, Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Uhh...I have 5 3200 ASA in the freezer. I bought them years ago,
thinking that at some point in time I would probably need them.

Thomas, you might want to consider using them sooner rather than
later. Such high-speed film is subject to increased fog from gamma
ray radiation, even in deep freeze. I speak from experience.

Yeah, you are probably right - and normally I would. However for what
I take pictures of normally, they are way too fast - and give
unacceptable grains. Maybe I should make myself a "Paris by night"
theme or something.....

There is a comet now visible in the evening skies which may be an attractive subject for 3200 speed film. See http://www.spaceweather.com/ for some details. Skywatchers may remember comet Ikeya-Zhang which was visible in March last year - it was not spectacular to the naked eye, but with some 3200 speed film, my 135/3.5 lens and approximately 5-10s exposures I got some very nice shots of it clearly showing a nice long tail, so I definitely recommend comet photography.

Roger